Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Going "Home"

Where is home, anyway?
As I consider the various places I've lived, the people I've known, the streets I've driven; and as I excitedly anticipate being back with family and friends in Mississippi during the next week, I realize that I truly am a transient soul on this earth.

Sometimes this makes me hurt. Sometimes it is a source of deep sadness, for I think it is a need in all of us to feel at home somewhere. For some people, home has always been and will always be one geographic location. I can see that for me, looking into my past and into my future, that will never be.

Yet whenever this longing for "home" hits me, I am immediately comforted by the One Being in whom my spirit is at home in all places and at all times. Psalm 17:15 says, "As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness." To go to sleep and wake up with the Lord is perhaps the only true home on this earth I'll ever know. [contented sigh] And that is enough for me...

Until that day that Jesus calls me to my true Home, I will continue to be a transient here on earth. And until then, I'll continue my trips of going "home" to my friends and family (who are truly all over the world), and I'll be satisfied with the likeness of the Lord.
~amy





Me at home in Oceanside, CA...









...at home in Natchez, MS...








...at home at the Cross.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

I like the visuals of your three places where you are at home. May we all be at home with the cross whereever we are in the world. I also have three places to call home, back east, in Oceanside, and with the cross. Thank you Jesus for providing the comfort of home with just your name and the symbol of your mercy. I love you sister Amy, and God Bless you!!!

T